Friday, September 23, 2011

The Heart of the Matter....

I think that's a Don Henley song. So my very good friend Laura set up this blog to help share the craziness that is my life over the next few weeks.  As most of you know, I will be heading into surgery to have a valve replaced in my heart.  Long story short, I was diagnosed when I was three years old and have lived with aortic stenosis my entire life...mainly sympton free. Over the last year, I started to experience some different things such as a lot of dizziness and fatigue.  As most of you know...especially my co-workers...I just kept going on with life. :)  It finally really hit me over the last few months and in August I was told I would need a valve replacement and should not wait more than a month. Shock is not the word.  For the last few weeks I have been talking to several doctors and trying to make the life changing decision of what to do...tissue valve...go ahead with the cow and pig jokes ....or mechanical.  Both have their pros and cons.  In a nut shell, with tissue I am  faced with a second procedure in about 10 years and with mechanical I would be on coumadin the rest of my life.  Ah decisions.  After choosing the valve, then I had to decide where and who and what procedure.  I think I have earned my PHD at this point. So decisions were made and surgery was set for 10/14. I went to my local  doctor here in Charlotte at Presbyterian on Wednesday, 9/23 and he basically told me it would not be wise to wait until the 14th  and I am now having surgery in Charlotte and as early as Wednesday, 9/28.  I had an MRI and MRA of the chest on Thursday night and I'm scheduled for a catherization on Tuesday morning at 6am. They have asked if I am mentally ready, would I want to do the surgery on  Wednesday. Well, I don't know if I will really ever be mentally ready, but sure I don't have any plans that day.  Honestly, now that the decision has been made and things are moving foward, I actually feel better than I have felt in a few weeks. I know anxiety was getting the best of me...good thing I have  blood pressure machine at home.   It has been a whirlwind few weeks to say the least, but I have to say that I am so lucky and blessed...the support I have received from my friends and family including phone calls, emails, texts...it all means so much to me and to Tom.  I've always known how lucky I am to have made the friendships I have today and to come from such a loving family.  So thank you for all of the support.  

No comments:

Post a Comment